SCNA 2009 - Test-Driven Learning: Bobby Norton
Code Culture (blog)
Getting out of the Shu box
- Learning Tests (exploratory tests)
- Q. How long will it take me to master Aikido?
A. How long do you expect to live?
- Practice. Accumulates over the years.
- The master and the master's path are one.
- Force yourself to move to a new context. Move past plateaus.
- Shu - Ha - Ri
- "Career novices" never progress past Shu
- Continually looks for better ways of doing things
- Advances the state of the practice
- Repeated study is not enough; you need repeated testing.
Repeated testing (being tested) helps recall/memory. Don't just read/study.
- How much code can you write from memory?
- shubox (for learning Ruby or Java)
- Start with empty unit test declarations - goals
- Test your assumptions
- Becomes your knowledge repository
- Revisit it; see if you can redo it from memory
Your Host: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2009 by William Sorensen. All rights reserved.